America's Cup races pushed back to Sunday due to winds
SAN FRANCISCO -- The final races of this year's America's Cup competition have been pushed back another day due to wind conditions.
Rain and unfavorable wind conditions prompted the cancellation of Race 14 today, which is now set for 1:15 p.m. Sunday, according to competition officials.
Officials say that while winds today were too far west to make for a good course, good conditions are expected on Sunday.
As the America's Cup Finals wind down, Emirates Team New Zealand team has maintained a significant lead against Oracle Team USA and could clinch the Cup if it wins the next race.
Race 14 was originally scheduled for today at 1:15 p.m. but was postponed several times due to inclement weather. The delay comes after a week of race postponements due to wind conditions.
This year's competition has been marred by a number of setbacks, including the death of Sweden-based Artemis Racing crewmember Andrew "Bart" Simpson, who drowned when the team's boat capsized during a practice in the Bay.
Oracle Team USA took home the 2010 America's Cup and selected San Francisco as the host city for this year's competition.
america's cup, san francisco bay, boats, competition, sports
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap 25 min ago
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Owens' Olympic gold medal sells for record $1.4M
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour ring record
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane 5 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 17 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
17 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos