Wrestlemania 31 heading to Levi's Stadium
SANTA CLARA, Calf. (KGO) -- San Francisco 49ers mascot Sourdough Sam joined the stars of the WWE Tuesday to announce that Wrestlemania is coming to the South Bay.
Levi's Stadium will host Wrestlemania 31 in March 2015. Backers believe Wrestlemania 31 will pump $100 million into the local economy.
Niners CEO Jed York has admired the WWE since childhood. "I would always pretend to be Andre the Giant with my little brother and it worked until he grew up, and the he started to whoop me. So we stopped wrestling from that point on," he recalled.
"It's just way, way over the top. That's what we do. We just go way over the top and have nothing but fun," said WWE CEO and Chairman Vince McMahon.
Wrestlemania marks the latest in a series of events planned for Levi's Stadium. The biggest is the Super Bowl in 2016.
College football will also take center stage next fall with a Cal Bears home game and the Fight Hunger Bowl.
santa clara, Levi's Stadium, san francisco 49ers, sports
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Serious accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 13 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting