Pac-12 has their eye on China
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The Pac-10 added Utah and Colorado last year to become the Pac-12. The conference is looking to grow more now and the desired destination is China.
Stanford women's volleyball coach John Dunning conducted a clinic recently for California high school coaches and 25 from China. It is part of an athletic, educational and cultural exchange program that's in its early stages. Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott sees a huge opportunity.
"To try to build the Pac-12 brand and our schools' brands overseas with a particular emphasis on China first, given the size of the market and the priority which it represents for our schools," said Scott.
Chris Chen is a former player on the Chinese national volleyball team.
"This is great. To be able to have this exchange trip that really brings a lot of understanding between both countries," said Chen.
"I think that's great. These are the best setters in the world doing it," said Dunning.
A women's pro volleyball team will be visiting and playing against Pac-12 teams this August. Those games and clinics, like the one with Dunning, will help everybody in a sport which is evolving with bigger, stronger and faster players.
"For me as a coach, it's one of the most exciting things of talking to people about the evolution and how to stay up with it and how to be able to coach exactly what's going on in the world that now comes to college or comes to high schools or juniors in the area," said Dunning.
Eventually, they'll play Pac-12 games in China.
china, stanford cardinal, college, larry beil
- Victim of 2009 Richmond gang rape takes stand
- Muni driver honored for actions after shooting
- City says 'parklet' in Haight-Ashbury must go
- Man arrested after fatal crash in San Jose
- 2 wildfires burning in Central Sierra foothills
- Charges filed against man in naked BART attack
- Caltrain reopens after police talk man off ledge
- Bicyclist struck, killed by hit-and-run driver
- Patient attacks nurse at Napa State Hospital
- SF taxi driver chokes, robs passenger over tip
- Flooding renews call for new Oakland A's stadium
- abcnews: Putin accused of stealing Super Bowl ring
- roundup: Burglaries in Livermore; Cabbie robs fare
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Oakland kicks off summer food program for...
7 min ago