Cal's David Esquer named coach of the year
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- Cal baseball coach David Esquer was named the National Coach of the Year on Tuesday.
What Esquer has done is beyond miracles, taking a team that was set for extinction and guiding the Bears all the way to the College World Series.
Esquer's program was set to be wiped out by budgets cuts, was saved, then almost eliminated again, then saved for good. Through all the turmoil, Esquer led Cal to the NCAA playoffs and then the College World Series.
Cal won their elimination game against Texas A&M, so the team that refused to die lives for at least a few more days.
berkeley, cal bears, college baseball
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Autopsy: Paul Walker died from impact, fire in crash
- New chair lets users decide the temperature
- Local startup iHear to offer hearing aids online
- abcnews: Harmful contaminants in marijuana?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos