Cal's David Esquer named coach of the year
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- Cal baseball coach David Esquer was named the National Coach of the Year on Tuesday.
What Esquer has done is beyond miracles, taking a team that was set for extinction and guiding the Bears all the way to the College World Series.
Esquer's program was set to be wiped out by budgets cuts, was saved, then almost eliminated again, then saved for good. Through all the turmoil, Esquer led Cal to the NCAA playoffs and then the College World Series.
Cal won their elimination game against Texas A&M, so the team that refused to die lives for at least a few more days.
berkeley, cal bears, college baseball
- SF officials prepare for 102nd Bay to Breakers race
- Albany residents protest return of Occupy activists
- Suspicious package in Livermore prompts evacuation
- Konig wins 7th stage, van Garderen retains lead
- Pacers knock out Knicks with 106-99 win in Game 6
- Milone's long skid ends as A's beat Royals
- Chatwood leads Rockies past Giants 10-2
- Teen dies after refusing to give iPad to thieves
- Up to 60 injured after car drives into Va. parade
- San Jose man arrested for alleged road rage attack
- Miami Heat player surprises student at prom
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: America's Cup race; Murder charges
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday