Stanford's first World Series team reunites
STANFORD, Calif. (KGO) -- The 1953 Stanford baseball team held their 60 year reunion on Sunday. 17 former players showed up to honor the team that put Stanford baseball on the map.
They were the first Stanford baseball team to make it the College World Series.
Back then the University of Southern California was the cream of the crop but Stanford beat the Trojans four straight times, which was a big milestone.
Their season and title hopes ended with a loss to the eventual champion Michigan Wolverines.
Nine of the team's former players went on to play professional baseball but the 80-year-olds will never forget their time on The Farm.
stanford cardinal, college baseball, mike shumann
- Deputy saves man from fiery crash in Oakland
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- Journals show students' despair, hope 1 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore 56 min ago
- 10-year-old girl to become Wonder Girl in Vallejo
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list 44 min ago
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming electronics
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Journals show students' despair, hope
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos