California 85, Texas-Pan American 58
BERKELEY, CA -- Jamal Boykin matched his career high with 18 points and Jerome Randle added 10 points and seven assists to lead California to an 85-58 win over Texas-Pan American in the first round of the Global Sports Classic on Thursday night.
Patrick Christopher had 12 points for the Bears (3-0), who shot 67.9 percent from the floor and nearly broke the school record for shooting percentage. Cal was shooting 70 percent and led by 24 heading into the final minute, but missed two of three shots to fall just shy of the single-game record of 68.5 percent, which was reached most recently against Arizona State on Jan. 5, 1989.
Theo Robertson added 10 points and three assists to help Cal remain unbeaten in coach Mike Montgomery's return to the college ranks.
Emmanuel Jones had 21 on 9 of 12 shooting for Texas-Pan American, which shot 48.9 percent from the field and committed 21 turnovers while falling to 1-2. At one point in the second half the Broncs were shooting over 60 percent from the field but trailed by 20.
Boykin, who went scoreless and fouled out in the Bears' season-opening win against Pacific last week, made eight of nine shots from the field against the Broncs. A junior forward who transferred from Duke last year, Boykin also scored 18 points twice last season against Cal State-Bakersfield and UCLA.
Cal trailed 6-2 after Jones' third straight basket in the first two minutes, but the Bears quickly recovered, making seven of their first 10 shots then going on a 19-3 run to take the lead for good.
Boykin and Robertson did most of the damage for the Bears in the first half, combining for 19 points.
- Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb kills 91
- Firefighters save Vallejo man in apartment fire
- Man goes missing after Bay to Breakers race
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- NFL owners set to decide Super Bowl L site Tuesday
- roundup: Mountain lion spotted; Palo Alto murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday