Spartans have one of nation's leading scorers
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- So who is the best college basketball player in the Bay Area? Chances are you've never seen him play. Adrian Oliver is one of the nation's leading scorers at San Jose State University. Now, he's the Spartan's second all-time leading scorer.
San Jose State's Adrian Oliver can put the ball in the basket. He's fourth in the nation averaging 24 points a game.
"I understand that God gave me a gift and he'll be ashamed if I didn't use it, it's just natural ability and a lot more hard work goes into it than what people think," said Oliver.
The senior from Modesto started his career at Washington, but transferred after his freshman year to be closer to his family, when his grandparents became ill.
"Just to have the ability to give back to them for taking care of me when I was younger is just a blessing," said Oliver.
His mom worked the graveyard shift when he was growing up, so his grandparents helped out. All he wanted to do as a kid was shoot the rock.
"Ever since he was little, that's all he did at home, so this is like a dream come true to keep on playing the game and hopefully play in the NBA one day," said Adrian's mother, Brenda Oliver.
His game has improved dramatically the past three seasons, setting a school record scoring over 30 points 14 times.
"On the court you can see he's fearless. He'll put his body on the line, he'll go after the ball, he'll go hard to the rim, and off the court he's really stepped it up," said San Jose State head coach George Nessman.
Oliver was fourth in the nation last year and is on his way to becoming the first Bay Area player to finish in the top 10 in scoring more than once. His dreams though won't be complete without an NBA career.
"NBA's a league of players with a lot of talent, but the thing that separates players from longevity is working hard and that's what I'm known for," said Oliver.
san jose state, san jose spartans, ncaa bb, mike shumann
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over Ukraine 22 min ago
- Man hit by tour bus on 7th, Mission streets in SF
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- SF burger joint open nearly 50 years about to close
- Sunday marks anniversary of Sierra LaMar's disappearance 59 min ago
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs 39 min ago
- Police conduct statewide underage drinking sting
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups 57 min ago
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- EU mulling next steps against Russia over...
22 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos