Nigeria tops Calipari's D.R. for last Olympic bid
Ike Diogu scored 25 points, and Nigeria earned the final men's basketball spot in the London Olympics with an 88-73 victory over the Dominican Republic on Sunday night.CARACAS, Venezuela -- Ike Diogu scored 25 points, and Nigeria earned the final men's basketball spot in the London Olympics with an 88-73 victory over the Dominican Republic on Sunday night.
"I'm very happy. We did what had to be done," Diogu said. "We knew we were going to face teams that are heavyweights, and we did what we needed to do -- win."
Yack Martinez led the Dominican Republic, coached by Kentucky's John Calipari, with 16 points.
Russia and Lithuania also qualified with victories Saturday.
In London, Lithuania and Nigeria will join the United States, Tunisia, France and Argentina in Group A. Russia, China, Britain, Brazil, Australia and Spain are in Group B.
The Dominican Republic will play the U.S. in an exhibition game Thursday in Las Vegas.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Angel Pagan wins it for SF Giants with inside-the-park HR
- Wildfire near Interstate 580 in Livermore now contained
- UK police arrest 3 more men in soldier's slaying
- Missing elderly Palo Alto woman with Alzheimer's found 21 min ago
- San Francisco man with brain injury missing
- Millions march against Monsanto in over 400 cities
- Limos without valid permits listed on airport website
- abcnews: How to stay safe at amusement parks
- roundup: Machete murder; PG&E fights fine
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- Scouts honor veterans at annual Memorial...
9 min ago
- Hundreds of food workers strike at AT&T...
15 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos