New Mexico St. player charged in beating case
A suspended New Mexico State University basketball player has been arrested for assault.LAS CRUCES, N.M. -- A suspended New Mexico State University basketball player has been arrested for assault.
Las Cruces police announced Wednesday that 22-year-old Tyrone P. Watson was charged with a third-degree felony count of aggravated battery causing great bodily harm.
Police say Watson beat a 19-year-old man, who was treated for facial fractures, a gash requiring 13 stitches and other cuts and bruises after the brawl at a party last month. Witnesses say Watson grabbed the man and punched him in the face because he was dancing with Watson's girlfriend.
He was later suspended from the team for allegedly violating rules on conduct.
Police say Watson was booked into the Dona Ana County Detention Center with bond set at $5,000.
It was unclear if Watson has an attorney.
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos