Akron suspends Abreu after felony pot arrest
Akron point guard Alex Abreu was suspended Thursday after he was arrested and charged with possession and trafficking of marijuana.AKRON, Ohio -- Akron point guard Alex Abreu was suspended Thursday after he was arrested and charged with possession and trafficking of marijuana.
A team spokesman said the indefinite suspension is pending the outcome of a police investigation. In an emailed statement, the spokesman said the university is gathering information and questions about the investigation should be directed to the Akron Police Department.
Police said Abreu and another man accepted a package containing 5 pounds of marijuana from undercover officers, the Akron Beacon Journal reported.
With Abreu directing the offense, the Zips (24-5, 14-1) put together a 19-game winning streak on their way to their second consecutive Mid-American Conference title. The 5-foot-10 junior is averaging 10.3 points and six assists per game, second in the league behind Ohio's D.J. Cooper.
Abreu had one of his best performances in one of Akron's biggest games of the season, finishing with 21 points and nine assists in an 86-72 victory over Ohio on Feb. 2. The Zips host Kent State on Friday night in their final regular-season game.
The 21-year-old Abreu was being held at the Summit County Jail. Each of the two charges he faces is a third-degree felony.
Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF 15 min ago
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- 49ers Jim Harbaugh ready for start of free agency
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County 54 min ago
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos