Texas, George Mason top 16-team CBI bracket
Texas and George Mason highlight the 16-team field for the sixth annual College Basketball Invitational.Texas and George Mason highlight the 16-team field for the sixth annual College Basketball Invitational.
Out of the NCAA tournament for the first time in 15 years, coach Rick Barnes and the Longhorns (16-17) aren't going to the NIT, either. Instead, they accepted an invite to the lower-level CBI and will play at Houston on Wednesday night in a matchup of former powers.
George Mason, the mid-major underdog that made a stunning run to the 2006 Final Four, goes on the road Tuesday night for its tournament opener against College of Charleston.
Other first-round games Tuesday are Vermont at Santa Clara, and Lehigh at Wyoming.
Then on Wednesday it's Western Illinois at Purdue; Tulsa at Wright State; Richmond at Bryant; and North Dakota State at Western Michigan.
All games are played at campus sites, and the championship round of the CBI is a best-of-three, beginning April 1. Previous champions were Pittsburgh (2012), Oregon (2011), VCU (2010), Oregon State (2009) and Tulsa (2008).
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
56 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos