JMU suspends Goins for first half of NCAA game
James Madison coach Matt Brady has suspended scoring and rebounding leader Rayshawn Goins for the first half of the Dukes' NCAA tournament game after Goins was arrested over the weekend.HARRISONBURG, Va. -- James Madison coach Matt Brady has suspended scoring and rebounding leader Rayshawn Goins for the first half of the Dukes' NCAA tournament game after Goins was arrested over the weekend.
The school says the suspension for the First Four game against LIU Brooklyn on Wednesday night is in accordance with JMU policy.
Harrisonburg police say Goins was arrested Sunday on charges of disorderly conduct and obstructing justice. Police say they were called to break up a party early Sunday morning and Goins was shouting obscenities at them and "enticing the crowd" before leaving with acquaintances.
Police say they did not arrest him immediately for fear the crowd would "turn riotous."
Goins averages 12.7 points and 7.4 rebounds.
JMU is making its first NCAA tournament appearance since 1994.
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos