Sources: Texas Tech interested in Tubby Smith
Texas Tech has contacted former Minnesota coach Tubby Smith about its vacant head-coaching position, multiple sources told ESPN.com on Thursday.
Texas Tech officials have met with former Minnesota coach Tubby Smith about the Red Raiders' vacant head-coaching position, multiple sources told ESPN.com on Thursday.
Athletic director Kirby Hocutt and chancellor Kent Hance flew to North Carolina on Wednesday evening to talk with Smith about the position, and Smith was spotted in Lubbock on Thursday evening at Texas Tech's athletic facility. It is unclear whether Smith has been offered the job or whether he would accept the position if an offer was extended.
Smith, who won an NCAA title at Kentucky in 1998, was fired by Minnesota on Monday after six years at the school. The Golden Gophers went 21-13 this season, losing to Florida in the NCAA tournament round of 32.
Efforts to reach Smith on Thursday were unsuccessful.
Texas Tech already has met with a handful of other coaches about the job, including Oral Roberts' Scott Sutton, Southern Illinois' Barry Hinson, New Mexico State's Marvin Menzies, Indiana assistant Steve McClain, and former UTEP and Nebraska coach Doc Sadler, who is in his first season as director of basketball operations at Kansas. The Lubbock Avalanche Journal reported Thursday evening that Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall also has been contacted about the job.
Sources said Sadler is still being considered for the job, along with Chris Walker, a former Red Raiders assistant. Walker became Texas Tech's interim coach after Billy Gillispie was forced to resign in September amid allegations he verbally abused players and repeatedly broke NCAA rules by exceeding limits on practice time.
Texas Tech went 11-20 under Walker this season, including a 3-15 record in the Big 12.
- Report indicates Mission Bay fire was accidental
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Deadline looms to complete Covered CA applications 6 min ago
- Reports: Ferry with 471 people sinking off SKorea
- 'Shrimp Boy' pleads not guilty in corruption case
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Sonoma County crash; Sunday parking in SF
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos