FGCU hires KU assistant Dooley as coach
Florida Gulf Coast has hired Joe Dooley as its new basketball coach.FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Florida Gulf Coast has hired Kansas assistant Joe Dooley as its new basketball coach, the school announced Wednesday.
Dooley replaces Andy Enfield, who left earlier this month to take the head coaching job at USC.
Under Enfield, FGCU became the first No. 15 seed to reach the round of 16 in the NCAA tournament. The Eagles upset Georgetown and San Diego State before losing to Florida.
Dooley has spent the past 10 seasons as an assistant on Bill Self's staff at Kansas. In that time, the Jayhawks produced 300 wins, nine straight Big 12 regular-season titles and six Big 12 tournament championships. They've reached the round of 16 six times, five regional finals and two Final Fours. They won the national title in 2008.
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond 4 min ago
- Good Samaritan helps save lives in North Bay fire 23 min ago
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
56 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos