Iowa to play in Bahamas instead of Alaska
The Iowa men's basketball team has ditched Alaska in favor of the Bahamas.IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The Iowa men's basketball team has ditched Alaska in favor of the Bahamas.
The Hawkeyes announced Thursday that they've pulled out of the Great Alaska Shootout and will instead play in the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament on Paradise Island in the Bahamas from Nov. 28-30.
The move should add strength to Iowa's nonconference schedule. The field for the Bahamas also includes Kansas, Tennessee, Villanova, USC, Wake Forest, UTEP and Xavier. The Great Alaska Shootout brackets are filled mostly with mid-major programs like Indiana State and Pepperdine.
The Hawkeyes hurt their NCAA tournament chances last season by playing a soft nonconference slate. But Iowa will play at Iowa State, host an undetermined ACC school and play in the more prestigious Bahamas tourney next year.
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos