UConn suspends center Olander after DUI
Connecticut forward Tyler Olander has been charged with DUI and suspended from the basketball team indefinitely.
Connecticut state police say Olander was pulled over Saturday near the Storrs campus and charged with operating under the influence of drugs or alcohol, operating an unregistered motor vehicle and operating a vehicle in violation of license classification.
Police said Olander failed a field sobriety test. No other details were released.
UConn spokesman Mike Enright said Monday that Olander was suspended for violating unspecified team rules.
UConn coach Kevin Ollie told ESPN.com that he would not have further comment on Olander's suspension, but added, "I will let him back on the team when I see a change in judgment."
Olander was also suspended in March after being arrested and charged with trespassing in Florida during spring break. Those charges were later dismissed.
The 6-foot-9, 230-pound Olander started 26 games last season and averaged 4.3 points and 3.7 rebounds. The Huskies, in Ollie's first year as longtime coach Jim Calhoun's replacement, won 20 games but were ineligible for the NCAA tournament because of poor past academic performance.
However, the frontcourt has been a concern. Olander was expected to start again, largely because the Huskies remain thin up front. Ollie and his staff signed talented forward Kentan Facey, but the Jamaican native has yet to be cleared by the NCAA.
Information from ESPN.com senior college basketball reporter Andy Katz and The Associated Press was used in this story.
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins 43 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2 37 min ago
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win 31 min ago
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos