No. 5 power forward Travis selects Stanford
Stanford landed its third ESPN 100 prospect in the Class of 2014 when Reid Travis (Minneapolis/De La Salle) announced his commitment to the Cardinal on Friday afternoon.
Reid is the No. 23 overall prospect and the No. 5 power forward in the nation. Travis chose Stanford over Duke, Minnesota and Gonzaga.
Travis is a pure power forward who stays near the basket to post up, rebound, screen and make short jumpers. In the paint, he creates fouls and gets to the free throw line. His combination of strength and a soft touch make him a scoring threat on every possession.
Travis' stock rose during the spring and summer because of his consistent and at times dominant play. He stood out in just about every venue against many of the best players in the country.
He helped lead his AAU team, Howard Pulley, to the AAU Super Showcase championship in Orlando, Fla. In the final, he finished with 27 points and seven rebounds while playing alongside ESPN 100 point guard Tyus Jones (Apple Valley, Minn./Apple Valley), the No. 4 overall prospect in the Class of 2014.
Standing courtside at that game and during the championship ceremony was Stanford coach Johnny Dawkins. He had tracked Travis through the spring and summer until the end of the evaluating period, and it paid off Friday.
Travis is expected to make his commitment official during college basketball's early signing period, which begins Wednesday.
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Baby kangaroo makes debut at zoo in Sydney
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati
- Unexpected backlash after CPSC recalls Fitbit Force
- 5 things you may not know about Pope Francis 4 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos