Minnesota suspends Walker for six games
Minnesota center Maurice Walker has been suspended for six games for a violation of university policy.
MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota center Maurice Walker has been suspended for six games for a violation of university policy.
The Golden Gophers made the announcement on Friday, a few hours before they opened the season against Lehigh. The Gophers did not specify which policies were broken.
It's a big setback for Walker, who worked hard in the summer to drop weight and get into new coach Richard Pitino's good graces.
When Pitino was hired to bring his up-tempo style to Minnesota, the 310-pound Walker figured to have a hard time fitting in. But Walker changed his diet and threw himself into grueling workouts to drop more than 60 pounds. Walker won't be eligible to rejoin the team until the second game of the Maui Invitational on Nov. 26.
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 44 min ago
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
42 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos