Minnesota suspends Walker for six games
Minnesota center Maurice Walker has been suspended for six games for a violation of university policy.
MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota center Maurice Walker has been suspended for six games for a violation of university policy.
The Golden Gophers made the announcement on Friday, a few hours before they opened the season against Lehigh. The Gophers did not specify which policies were broken.
It's a big setback for Walker, who worked hard in the summer to drop weight and get into new coach Richard Pitino's good graces.
When Pitino was hired to bring his up-tempo style to Minnesota, the 310-pound Walker figured to have a hard time fitting in. But Walker changed his diet and threw himself into grueling workouts to drop more than 60 pounds. Walker won't be eligible to rejoin the team until the second game of the Maui Invitational on Nov. 26.
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail 55 min ago
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug 30 min ago
- Boat crashes into rocks near Oyster Point Marina 22 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos