St. Mary's star sets blocking record
MORAGA, CA (KGO) -- There is a nice little college basketball story happening at St. Mary's this year and it has nothing to do with the men's team.
The lady Gaels have a18-8 record, 9-2 in the West Coast Conference, the NCAA tournament is a real possibility and the main reason is a block-happy import from down under.
"I think it's a little bit genetics. I've never been taught how to block shots," said Louella Tomlinson.
Being 6'4" certainly helps Tomlinson, but there have been taller women at the division one level.
"I just worked on it, and developed it, and added it to my game, and that was about it," said Tomlinson.
The result has been worthy of a McKeon pavilion banner. It prominently shows she has made over 483 blocks.
This past week, the junior from Australia set two division one records: most blocked shots in a single season and most blocked shots in a career.
Tomlinson is averaging a mind-boggling 6.5 blocks per game. For some perspective, former member of the Utah Jazz, Mark Eaton, has the all-time NBA record of 5.56 blocks per game in one season.
But it is the rest of her game that has helped her garner five West Coast Conference player of the week awards this season. Besides blocks, she also leads the league in scoring and rebounding.
"Obviously, I mean, it's great for St. Mary's and I'm glad that I can contribute to my team and honestly, I'd rather win a championship than get that, but it's just an added bonus."
ncaa wbb, larry beil
- One dead, another critical in San Francisco fire
- Police arrest suspect accused of setting fire to station
- Police search for men over attempted bank robbery
- Teen girl found in Berkeley says she was kidnapped
- BART unveils new train car design in SF 56 min ago
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code 58 min ago
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting 19 min ago
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
56 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos