St. Mary's star sets blocking record
MORAGA, CA (KGO) -- There is a nice little college basketball story happening at St. Mary's this year and it has nothing to do with the men's team.
The lady Gaels have a18-8 record, 9-2 in the West Coast Conference, the NCAA tournament is a real possibility and the main reason is a block-happy import from down under.
"I think it's a little bit genetics. I've never been taught how to block shots," said Louella Tomlinson.
Being 6'4" certainly helps Tomlinson, but there have been taller women at the division one level.
"I just worked on it, and developed it, and added it to my game, and that was about it," said Tomlinson.
The result has been worthy of a McKeon pavilion banner. It prominently shows she has made over 483 blocks.
This past week, the junior from Australia set two division one records: most blocked shots in a single season and most blocked shots in a career.
Tomlinson is averaging a mind-boggling 6.5 blocks per game. For some perspective, former member of the Utah Jazz, Mark Eaton, has the all-time NBA record of 5.56 blocks per game in one season.
But it is the rest of her game that has helped her garner five West Coast Conference player of the week awards this season. Besides blocks, she also leads the league in scoring and rebounding.
"Obviously, I mean, it's great for St. Mary's and I'm glad that I can contribute to my team and honestly, I'd rather win a championship than get that, but it's just an added bonus."
ncaa wbb, larry beil
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap 38 min ago
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1 6 min ago
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Salvation Army ringer sets 105-hour ring record
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane 18 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 30 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos