Stanford head coach wins game No. 800
PALO ALTO, Calif. (KGO) -- A day after the University of Connecticut won their 89th straight game, there was a women's basketball milestone in the Bay Area. Stanford head coach Tara VanDerveer won the 800th game of her career, and it was in the perfect setting, surrounded by her former players.
"I'm just a little bit blown away by Jennifer and Katy being here and looking at the number, it's a high number," said VanDerveer.
Safe to say, this was a game USF coach Jennifer Azzi and her assistant Katy Steding really didn't mind losing. They were stars at Stanford and helped build a perennial national powerhouse in the late 80s and early 90s.
Their Dons played a tough first half last night, but Stanford overpowered them after that, winning 100-45.
"I mean, I didn't plan it this way. I didn't want it to happen this way. But it was really special to be here with Jennifer and Katy because they were part of so many wins," said VanDerveer.
"We're all very proud of her. We're happy to be on this team and be able to bring her this win today, so I mean, she's a great coach so it's awesome to see," said Stanford forward Kayla Pedersen.
VanDerveer has been coaching for 32 years. She is arguably the most successful college coach in the Bay Area.
"It's not about the number and it's not about me. It's the opportunity to be at a great university, to coach really outstanding young people," said VanDerveer.
The number 800 is quite a milestone.
stanford cardinal, ncaa wbb, larry beil
- Cold snap could shatter 41-year-old Bay Area record
- Bay Area braces for chilly weather as cold snap hits
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- BART train brake problem prompts evacuations
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes 29 min ago
- Libyan officials say US teacher killed in Benghazi 7 min ago
- Newtown 911 calls show calm response to shooting
- Bail for suspect in PS4 robbery in SF set at $5M
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- Milpitas police investigate possible kidnapping
- Local startup iHear to offer hearing aids online
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: SF shooting; Milpitas possible kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
38 min ago
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage...
29 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos