Cal Lady Bears get impressive Final Four sendoff
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- The Cal Lady Bears basketball team got an impressive send-off Thursday as they got ready to leave for the Big Easy and their first-ever appearance in the Final Four.
The weather was damp outside Haas Pavilion, but nothing could dampen the team spirit on campus. There were hundreds of fans, a band playing, and cheerleaders. After a few words from Athletic Director and Coach Lindsay Gottlieb, the team walked out onto the court to a huge ovation.
Students, staff, and fans told ABC7 News they were excited for the team and wanted them to know it.
Berkeley Mayor Tom Bates is betting the Bears will beat Louisviile this Sunday.
If the Cardinals win, Bates has promised to ship 10 bottles of Narsai David premium California cabernet sauvignon to Louisville's mayor. But, a Bears victory means Mayor Bates will receive 10 bottles of Kentucky bourbon from Louisville.
Bates is confident in his alma mater saying, "I can already taste the bourbon!"
The Bears beat Georgia Monday in an overtime nail bite 65-6 making them the first Cal Women's Bears team to go to the Final Four.
uc berkeley, cal bears, NCAA, ncaa wbb
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 46 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash 24 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
9 min ago