Star recruit Tucker joins Vols, not likely to play
Jannah Tucker is finally at Tennessee a year after signing her letter of intent. The star recruit has already had her first practice and begins classes after the New Year.
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Jannah Tucker is finally at Tennessee a year after signing her letter of intent. The star recruit has already had her first practice and begins classes after the New Year.
Still, Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick doesn't expect the freshman guard from Randallstown, Md., to play this season.
"I don't think she's physically ready," Warlick said. "I think her knee needs a little bit more (time)."
Warlick plans to redshirt Tucker, who was rated as one of the nation's top 10 prospects in her class by multiple recruiting services even though a knee injury prevented the 6-footer from playing her senior year at New Town High School in Owings Mill, Md.
After signing with Tennessee in November 2012, Tucker didn't enroll as expected last summer for what was described at the time as personal reasons. Tucker later told Blue Star Media she was a victim of domestic violence.
In September, Baltimore County (Md.) police said they arrested Joshua Anthony Gerard on a second-degree assault charge. Tucker told police she and Gerard had been dating for two years.
Tennessee said in October that Tucker had informed Warlick of her plans to enter school in January. Tucker reported to campus this week and worked out with teammates Saturday. She was not made available to the media
"I'm excited to have her here," Warlick said. "She's an exciting young kid. I think for her every day's Christmas."
No. 5 Tennessee (10-1) hosts Lipscomb (3-7) on Sunday.
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos