UT-Pan American accepts invitation to join WAC
The University of Texas-Pan American has accepted an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference starting in July 2013.EDINBURG, Texas -- The University of Texas-Pan American has accepted an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference starting in July 2013.
The university announced the decision Wednesday. All 14 of the school's sports programs will compete in the conference, including men's and women's basketball and baseball.
In addition to UTPA, WAC membership for 2013-2014 is scheduled to include Cal State-Bakersfield, Chicago State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Seattle and Utah Valley.
UTPA athletic teams, with the exception of men's tennis and golf, have been competing in the Great West Conference. The Broncs were previously members of the Sun Belt Conference.
The UTPA baseball program has competed in the NCAA tournament 13 times and produced 32 players drafted by major league clubs.
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Balboa Park BART station reopens after fatality
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Jayden Amys wins San Jose Future Chefs Challenge 1 min ago
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery...
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos