UT-Pan American accepts invitation to join WAC
The University of Texas-Pan American has accepted an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference starting in July 2013.EDINBURG, Texas -- The University of Texas-Pan American has accepted an invitation to join the Western Athletic Conference starting in July 2013.
The university announced the decision Wednesday. All 14 of the school's sports programs will compete in the conference, including men's and women's basketball and baseball.
In addition to UTPA, WAC membership for 2013-2014 is scheduled to include Cal State-Bakersfield, Chicago State, Idaho, New Mexico State, Seattle and Utah Valley.
UTPA athletic teams, with the exception of men's tennis and golf, have been competing in the Great West Conference. The Broncs were previously members of the Sun Belt Conference.
The UTPA baseball program has competed in the NCAA tournament 13 times and produced 32 players drafted by major league clubs.
- Stanford Rose Bowl-bound after beating ASU
- Batkid returns to SF for Make-A-Wish fundraiser
- Thompson has 30 and Warriors top Grizzlies 108-82
- Deputy who fatally shot Andy Lopez to return to work
- 5 displaced in two-alarm apartment fire in Alameda
- Winter Spare the Air Alert issued for Sunday, Dec. 8
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos