Storm star Bird out for season with knee injury
The Seattle Storm will be down another All-Star after the team announced Tuesday that Sue Bird will miss the 2013 season because she needs knee surgery.SEATTLE -- The Seattle Storm will be down another All-Star after the team announced Tuesday that Sue Bird will miss the 2013 season because she needs knee surgery.
Bird will undergo surgery to remove a cyst from her right knee later this spring. No specific date has been announced for the surgery and the expected recovery time is six months.
Seattle will already be without former MVP Lauren Jackson, who is choosing to remain in Australia and recover from hamstring surgery.
Bird is playing overseas and will complete her commitment because she is not experiencing pain in the knee. In a statement from the team, Bird says doctors have told her if the surgery is taken care of as soon as her overseas commitment is done, she can avoid future "debilitating consequences."
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition 58 min ago
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos