Columbia hires Illinois St.'s Glance as coach
Stephanie Glance is the new women's basketball coach at Columbia.NEW YORK -- Stephanie Glance was hired as the new women's basketball coach at Columbia on Monday.
She spent the past three seasons at Illinois State guiding the Redbirds to three WNIT bids.
"Stephanie Glance is an outstanding women's basketball coach," Columbia athletic director Dr. M. Dianne Murphy said.
"She brings tremendous experience with a number of impressive mentors, including Hall of Fame coaches Pat Summitt and the late Kay Yow. Stephanie has a demonstrated record of success as an assistant coach, associate head coach and head coach of a NCAA Division I women's basketball program. We know she is the right coach for Columbia."
Illinois State went 24-11 losing to Kansas State in the second round of the WNIT. Glance was honored as the Maggie Dixon rookie coach of the year in 2011. She previously spent 15 years at NC State working under coach Yow. She was the interim head coach during parts of the 2004-05, 2006-07 and 2008-09 seasons, while Yow battled breast cancer.
She replaces Paul Nixon, who didn't have his contract renewed earlier this month. Nixon spent eight seasons at Columbia and was the school's all-time winningest coach. He won 70 games with the Lions, including a school-record 18 four years ago.
The Lions were 5-23 this season and went 3-11 in the Ivy League.
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire 38 min ago
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos