Burns retires as SDSU women's hoops coach
Beth Burns has retired after 16 seasons as San Diego State's women's basketball coach.SAN DIEGO -- Beth Burns has retired after 16 seasons as San Diego State's women's basketball coach.
Burns was the winningest coach in Aztecs women's basketball history, going 295-186 in two eight-year stints. She led the Aztecs to six regular-season conference championships and four league tournament titles. San Diego State qualified for the NCAA tournament seven times, highlighted by a final 16 appearance in 2010.
The Aztecs were 27-7 last season, setting a school single-season record for victories en route to their second straight Mountain West Conference regular-season title. Burns was the Mountain West Coach of the Year for the second straight season and sixth time overall.
Associate head coach Jualeah Woods will serve as interim head coach.
Between stints at SDSU, Burns coached for five seasons at Ohio State, going 82-65 overall with a WNIT title in 2001.
- 6 Nepalese guides dead, 9 missing in Mount Everest avalanche
- Student with Down syndrome accepted to college
- Sharks beat Kings 6-3 in Game 1
- Cal/OSHA fines BART $210,000 in 2013 fatal accident
- Firework thrown into bleachers during Giants game
- Infant boy left alone in car all day in San Jose dies
- New assisted living rent law isn't retroactive 47 min ago
- All 29 defendants in corruption case appear in court
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- roundup: DUI crash; Antioch teen killed
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos