Burns retires as SDSU women's hoops coach
Beth Burns has retired after 16 seasons as San Diego State's women's basketball coach.SAN DIEGO -- Beth Burns has retired after 16 seasons as San Diego State's women's basketball coach.
Burns was the winningest coach in Aztecs women's basketball history, going 295-186 in two eight-year stints. She led the Aztecs to six regular-season conference championships and four league tournament titles. San Diego State qualified for the NCAA tournament seven times, highlighted by a final 16 appearance in 2010.
The Aztecs were 27-7 last season, setting a school single-season record for victories en route to their second straight Mountain West Conference regular-season title. Burns was the Mountain West Coach of the Year for the second straight season and sixth time overall.
Associate head coach Jualeah Woods will serve as interim head coach.
Between stints at SDSU, Burns coached for five seasons at Ohio State, going 82-65 overall with a WNIT title in 2001.
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos