Coach Pennell, president Cox leave Mercury
Phoenix Mercury interim coach Russ Pennell and President Amber Cox will not return to the organization.
PHOENIX -- Phoenix Mercury interim coach Russ Pennell and president Amber Cox will not return to the organization.
Pennell is leaving to pursue a return to college coaching and Cox has left to pursue other opportunities, the team said Friday.
The Mercury have yet to name replacements.
Pennell became the interim coach after Phoenix fired Corey Gaines in August. The Mercury went 9-4 after opening 10-11 and reached the Western Conference Finals, where they lost to Minnesota.
Pennell was the interim coach at the University of Arizona in 2008-09 and spent four seasons at Grand Canyon University.
Cox had been with the team since 2005, becoming chief operating officer in 2010 and president in 2011.
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos