Stanford starts a two-way player
PALO ALTO, CA (KGO) -- Owen Marecic is going to be a very busy man for the Stanford football team. The plan is for him to start at fullback and linebacker, making him one of the few two way players in college football.
Senior fullback Marecic will be playing both ways this season for the Cardinal. When he's not blocking linebackers, he'll be making tackles at linebacker. Marecic claims coach Harbaugh is responsible.
"He's giving players another chance to help out the team in any way they can, so I embrace that," says Marecic.
When asked if he thought playing one position will take away from the other, Marecic said, "It's something we have to pay attention to, but I think with enough practice, dedication, and focus, that won't be the case."
You don't see many athletes playing offense and defense at the college level, but head coach Jim Harbaugh claims Marecic is suited for both sides of the ball.
"If there's anybody who can pull this off it is Owen. I said this before, I think he's the perfect football player. He just does so many things right. He's embraced it, he's committed to it. We know it has its perils and merits, but we will monitor it as we go," said Harbaugh.
Owen will be one of the few 60 minute men in college football, but he says he will do whatever it takes to win a Pac 10 championship.
stanford university, ncaa fb, mike shumann
- President Obama renews calls for nuclear reductions
- BART'S top cop to have auditor assess reforms 2 min ago
- Fairfield grass fire spreads to nearby motel
- Tenderloin apartment building roof fire extinguished
- Tesla Model S recall for rear seat latch issue
- Workers face charges after sit-in at AT&T Park
- Medical association recognizes obesity as a disease
- Police enforcing pedestrian safety in San Mateo Co.
- 6-year-old boy killed by dog in Union City
- 49ers sign DE Justin Smith to 2-year extension 36 min ago
- Miami Heat force Game 7 in NBA Finals
- abcnews: $73,000 'Most Spectacular' dog vacation
- roundup: Fairfield grass fire; SJ baseball suit
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday