Local college football coaches give preview of season
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The local college football season is almost upon us and Cal and Stanford are now part of the Pac-12.
College football is right around the corner and on Monday in San Francisco our local head coaches gave us a little preview. Cal's Jeff Tedford went through his first losing season last year and he can't wait to get back to work.
"The kids worked hard through the summer program and now it's time we can do something about last season. We can talk about it as much as we want, but now it's time to perform and I just can't wait to get to get to work with these guys," said Tedford.
Across the bay, last year offensive coordinator, David Shaw takes over at Stanford, replacing Jim Harbaugh.
"There's a way we have to operate to be successful at Stanford. Coach Harbaugh understood that and helped put together most of the guys on our staff. So, I think, we're in a good position right now," said Shaw.
Quarterback Andrew Luck is the top candidate to win this year's Heisman. When asked if it was going to be a distraction for him, he answered, "It's not that hard we have a great group of guys in the locker room and if I get on my high horse, they'll get you down pretty quick."
"He's a competitive son of a gun, he is and through all the accolades, and all the pats on the back, he shrugs it all off and he gets to work, and that's the mindset of our team," said Shaw.
Stanford opens their season with San Jose State, led by second-year coach Mike MacIntyre.
"The summer workouts were better attended, the young men knew what they were doing, they understand the schemes, play calling, you know last year they were trying to learn it all and didn't know what to expect," said MacIntyre.
Fall camps open this week with the college season kicking off on Sept. 3, 2011.
cal bears, stanford cardinal, san jose spartans, ncaa fb, mike shumann
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Two Powerball tickets in Calif. have 5 of 6 numbers
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Emergency officials monitor Wichita-area tornado 50 min ago
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home 9 min ago
- Spurs rout Grizzlies 105-83 in West finals opener 23 min ago
- Warriors PG Stephen Curry set to receive key to city
- SF police ask for help in solving 2012 B2B homicide
- US gas prices up 11 cents over past 2 weeks
- abcnews: Men Struggle With Wives' Breast Cancer
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos