Cal vs. Washington: Time for a little payback?
BERKELEY, Calif. (KGO) -- The Cal Bears are 3-0 and begin conference play Saturday on the road at 2-1 Washington. There is a little payback involved in this year's game.
The Huskies knocked Cal out of the bowl picture last year with a win in the final game of the season at Memorial Stadium. It also resulted in Coach Jeff Tedford's first losing season at Cal.
"It's not so much about payback, it's a different team this year and a different team for them. It's a new season," said Tedford. "But I think that feeling that we had was the first time we ever felt that, and so that really created the motivation for the off-season."
Senior safety Sean Cattouse has a different take.
"I think the biggest motivation regardless of knocking us out last year is just that it's starting conference play," said Cattouse. "They're a good team and it's going to be a fight."
Quarterback Zach Maynard will be playing in his first Pac-12 contest in one of the loudest stadiums in the conference.
"Oh yeah, he's definitely going to experience it in the Pac-12 -- that crowd and the crowd noise, and I know he'll produce well," said wide receiver Marvin Jones.
The Huskies are at the bottom of the conference in total defense while the Bears are averaging 45 points a game.
"Not necessarily licking your chops, but we know that we have the ability to put up good numbers," said Jones.
cal bears, berkeley, ncaa fb, mike shumann
- Man implaed, killed after metal pipe crashes through windshield 11 min ago
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma tornado 35 min ago
- Surprise sting targets passenger vehicles at SFO 10 min ago
- Cause of grass fire in San Jose under investigation
- Overhead wire problems disrupt service on Muni
- Immigrant families disappointed by Feintsein's vote 15 min ago
- UK officials: Radical Islam drives London attack
- Super Bowl 50 bid committee returns to Bay Area 30 min ago
- Dealers in training ahead of new casino opening
- Stray pony found wandering Richmond's Iron Triangle 52 min ago
- Snacking deputy's crash costs Santa Clara Co. $5M
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Harvey Milk events; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday 55 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
43 min ago
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma...
35 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos