Memorial service to be held for Cal football player Ted Agu
BERKELEY, Calif. -- A memorial service for Cal football player Ted Agu, who died at the end of a team workout on Feb. 7, will be held at the Haas Pavilion on the University of California at Berkeley campus on Monday night, according to university officials.
Agu, a 21-year-old junior defensive lineman from Bakersfield, was a public health major and was selected to the second team Pac-12 All-Academic squad last fall, university officials said.
The service will begin at 6:30 p.m. Monday.
University officials said Agu's family members from Bakersfield as well as other family members from Nigeria will attend the service.
A candlelight service for Agu was held at the Lisa and Douglas Goldman Plaza, adjacent to Cal's football stadium, on Feb. 12.
University officials said Agu died after he developed problems at the end of a routine training run with his teammates.
Stefano Bertozzi, the dean of the university's public health school, said Agu was a good student who planned to go to medical school.
berkeley, UC, uc berkeley, ncaa fb
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry 38 min ago
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
38 min ago