Memorial service to be held for Cal football player Ted Agu
BERKELEY, Calif. -- A memorial service for Cal football player Ted Agu, who died at the end of a team workout on Feb. 7, will be held at the Haas Pavilion on the University of California at Berkeley campus on Monday night, according to university officials.
Agu, a 21-year-old junior defensive lineman from Bakersfield, was a public health major and was selected to the second team Pac-12 All-Academic squad last fall, university officials said.
The service will begin at 6:30 p.m. Monday.
University officials said Agu's family members from Bakersfield as well as other family members from Nigeria will attend the service.
A candlelight service for Agu was held at the Lisa and Douglas Goldman Plaza, adjacent to Cal's football stadium, on Feb. 12.
University officials said Agu died after he developed problems at the end of a routine training run with his teammates.
Stefano Bertozzi, the dean of the university's public health school, said Agu was a good student who planned to go to medical school.
berkeley, UC, uc berkeley, ncaa fb
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire