North Dakota St. earns FCS playoffs top seed
North Dakota State is the top seed in the 20-team Football Championship Subdivision playoffs. The NCAA revealed the bracket Sunday.North Dakota State is the top seed in the 20-team Football Championship Subdivision playoffs. The NCAA revealed the bracket Sunday.
The defending national champion Bison finished 10-1 and won the Missouri Valley's automatic bid.
The playoffs begin Saturday with four games, the winners of which will advance to face the top four seeds: North Dakota State, No. 2 Eastern Washington, No. 3 Montana State, and No. 4 Old Dominion, on Dec. 1.
North Dakota State will play the winner of South Dakota State and Ohio Valley champion Eastern Illinois.
No. 5 Georgia Southern, which received the Southern Conference's automatic bid, is the only other seeded team. The Eagles will face Southland champion Central Arkansas in the second round.
Unseeded at-large bids went to Appalachian State, Cal Poly, Illinois State, New Hampshire, Sam Houston State, South Dakota State, Stony Brook and Wofford.
Other conference champions to receive automatic bids in the championship are the MEAC's Bethune-Cookman, the Big South's Coastal Carolina, Colgate of the Patriot League, Villanova of the CAA and the Northeast Conference's Wagner, which is making its first appearance in the FCS playoffs.
All first- and second-round games will be broadcast on ESPN3. A full schedule is available here.
- Vehicle runs over gas line, hits SJ DMV building
- Uber announces new insurance policy for drivers
- Costco recalls cases of freeze-dried fruit
- Crews busy dismantling old span of the Bay Bridge
- Virgin to stop service at Mineta San Jose Airport
- Group says GM airbag failures caused 303 deaths
- Bay Area kids look to strike gold on ABC's 'Shark Tank'
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: AltCar Expo; Motorcyclist killed
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos