Tulsa formally accepts invitation of Big East
Tulsa officials say they've accepted an invitation to join the soon-to-be-renamed Big East Conference beginning in 2014.TULSA, Okla. -- Tulsa officials say they've accepted an invitation to join the soon-to-be-renamed Big East Conference beginning in 2014.
The Golden Hurricane, who joined Conference USA in 2005 after leaving the WAC, won last year's football championship in the league and recently won the women's basketball tournament title while hosting both hoops tourneys. The school announced the decision Tuesday.
The renamed Big East will have 12 members in 2015 when Navy joins for football only. Among that group will be seven ex-Conference USA teams: Tulsa, Tulane, East Carolina, Central Florida, SMU, Houston and basketball power Memphis.
Last week, Tulsa hired Derrick Gragg as its new athletic director. He replaces Ross Parmley, who was fired amid gambling allegations.
The school participates in 18 intercollegiate sports.
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Woman struck by cab in downtown San Francisco 42 min ago
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Martinez parents struggle to stay at baby son's side
- Florida school board member wants parent dress code
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Woman attempting run from San Francisco to New York 9 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Fatal house fire in SF; Oakland shooting
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos