Sources: Southern Miss won't renew AD's pact
Southern Mississippi athletic director Jeff Hammond will not have his contract extended, sources told ESPN.Southern Mississippi athletic director Jeff Hammond will not have his contract extended, sources told ESPN.
Hammond was a standout quarterback at the school from 1976 to 1978, and was given a one-year contract a year ago that is set to expire at the end of June. New president Rodney Bennett, who came from the University of Georgia this past February, is expected to make an official announcement on Wednesday.
Hammond also served in the military and rose to the rank of a major general. A native of Hattiesburg, Miss., he was hired in 2010 as a senior associate director of athletics. He recently fired football coach Ellis Johnson after one winless season and hired Todd Monken, a former Oklahoma State offensive coordinator. Hammond also hired men's basketball coach Donnie Tyndall, who won 27 games this past season and led the Eagles to a berth in the NIT.
- Fisherman missing after boat crash near Brentwood 4 min ago
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3 39 min ago
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos