Peguero may be Giants' next big prospect
SAN JOSE, CA (KGO) -- For years, the San Francisco Giants drafted pitcher, after pitcher, after pitcher. The philosophy has changed recently and the benefits are obvious with guys like Pablo Sandoval and Buster Posey now in the big leagues.
The next infusion of excitement might come from a kid in the minor leagues by the name of Francisco Peguero.
Peguero is packing some heat. The San Jose Giants outfielder was drafted as a 17-year-old from the Dominican Republic and now, five years later, he's one of the organization's top prospects.
Peguero joined pitcher Zack Wheeler as the only Giants in baseball's Futures Game over the weekend.
Peguero said through a translator, "It is something you are wowed by, because I am the only one representing this organization. So I'm very happy and proud to be a participant. For them to have selected me to represent the Giants, I feel very content and proud."
Peguero has tremendous speed, which lets him run down balls in the outfield with ease. He's hitting just under .300 in San Jose.
San Jose Giants Manager Brian Harper says Peguero has incredible upside.
"He's got great, tremendous tools. He's got a plus, plus arm. He's a very good fielder. He's got power potential at the bat. I mean, just everything you want in a great base runner," says Harper.
"I want to play in the major leagues, be a superstar, you know, make baseball my life. That is my dream and to give my family a better life," says Peguero.
We may see Peguero soon in the big leagues.
san francisco giants, mlb, larry beil
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington's Skagit River
- 5.7 earthquake hits Northern California 24 min ago
- Czech police say Palo Alto man suspected in 4 murders 36 min ago
- New details released in police officers' murders
- Magnitude 8.2 earthquake hits Russia's Far East 26 min ago
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- Gov. Brown keeps pressing climate change crusade
- Video: America's Cup teams practice on San...
- TIME publishes Obama prom photo, yearbook message
- Caltrans shows fix for broken Bay Bridge bolts
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: BART bike vote; Gov. climate change
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos