Peguero may be Giants' next big prospect
SAN JOSE, CA (KGO) -- For years, the San Francisco Giants drafted pitcher, after pitcher, after pitcher. The philosophy has changed recently and the benefits are obvious with guys like Pablo Sandoval and Buster Posey now in the big leagues.
The next infusion of excitement might come from a kid in the minor leagues by the name of Francisco Peguero.
Peguero is packing some heat. The San Jose Giants outfielder was drafted as a 17-year-old from the Dominican Republic and now, five years later, he's one of the organization's top prospects.
Peguero joined pitcher Zack Wheeler as the only Giants in baseball's Futures Game over the weekend.
Peguero said through a translator, "It is something you are wowed by, because I am the only one representing this organization. So I'm very happy and proud to be a participant. For them to have selected me to represent the Giants, I feel very content and proud."
Peguero has tremendous speed, which lets him run down balls in the outfield with ease. He's hitting just under .300 in San Jose.
San Jose Giants Manager Brian Harper says Peguero has incredible upside.
"He's got great, tremendous tools. He's got a plus, plus arm. He's a very good fielder. He's got power potential at the bat. I mean, just everything you want in a great base runner," says Harper.
"I want to play in the major leagues, be a superstar, you know, make baseball my life. That is my dream and to give my family a better life," says Peguero.
We may see Peguero soon in the big leagues.
san francisco giants, mlb, larry beil
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse 55 min ago
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide 9 min ago
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- FREE STUFF: Sour Flour; Kevel Fly Ties
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday