SF Giants gear up for FanFest
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The San Francisco Giants have their big FanFest Saturday at AT&T Park. On Friday, they took care of business, extending contracts for manager Bruce Bochy and General Manager Brian Sabean thru 2012. Players met the media and the hot topics were defending the title and Pablo's weight.
Thanks to their World Series run into November, the offseason was shorter than usual. But players feel like spring training can't come soon enough.
"I mean for me, the season was over and I was already kind of antsy about getting back and getting going again. So it definitely makes it more fun to come in with that World Series title," says 2010 National League Rookie of the Year, Buster Posey.
The Giants ace Tim Lincecum is ready to go.
"I was throwing more this offseason than I was last offseason and I feel hopefully that will prepare me better to get through spring training and know my body a little bit more," says Tim Lincecum.
Speaking of bodies, all eyes today were on Pablo Sandoval. He struggled last season as his weight ballooned. Friday, it was obvious, the panda has shed some pounds, but how many is still a mystery.
"I'm not going to tell how many pounds I've lost, but I've lost a lot," says Sandoval.
In his offseason of self-improvement, Sandoval has been running with former Olympic gold medal decathlete Dan O'Brien. He's been talking hitting with Barry Bonds. He's even had some of his more intense workouts captured in Showtime's new documentary on the Giants.
"They film already. Went to A Mountain. Throw up. Yeah, yeah. It's not easy. The workouts I've been doing is not easy," says Sandoval.
It won't be easy to repeat, the Giants enter 2011 as the hunted rather than the hunters and they're ready for that challenge.
"We can still have that sort of chip on our shoulder that people are trying to take a run at us and we have to defend and we're all on board with that," says 2010 NLCS MVP Cody Ross.
Although the gates to AT&T Park won't open until 11 a.m., fans can buy tickets for the upcoming season starting at 9 a.m. at park ticket windows, Giants Dugout Store locations, and online at www.sfgiants.com.
uReport: Powered by YouTube
Do you have a problem in your neighborhood that needs fixing or a government service that isn't working? Send your videos and photos to uReport@kgo-tv.com, or visit uReport.abc7news.com and we may feature them on-air or online. Don't forget to include a phone number and e-mail address where we can contact you.
Bay City News contributed to this report
san francisco giants, at&t park, mlb, larry beil
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police 22 min ago
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break 11 min ago
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in Cotati 5 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
24 min ago
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water...
11 min ago
- Rare tree halts plans for Smart Train in...
5 min ago