DeRosa hopes to say healthy for the Giants
Mark DeRosa will get a World Series ring, but the San Francisco Giants' utility-man isn't happy about how he earned it. DeRosa was hurt for most of last season and now a healthy DeRosa is hoping to show the Giants they need him in their everyday lineup.
Infielder/outfielder DeRosa, 36, has 10 years in the Big Leagues with six teams and spent his first with the Giants last year watching them win the World Series on the bench with a wrist injury.
"It was kind of bittersweet to not be out there after grinding at this sport for so long. I'm very, very proud of getting the ring and excited to get back and get on the field again," said DeRosa.
He's healthy and has the versatility to play 2nd, short, 3rd or the outfield. He can also add some pop with his bat -- he's got a .275 career average, 92 homeruns, 430 RBI, and hit double digit homeruns and 70 plus RBI the four seasons prior to last year's injury.
A lot of the people in the Bay Area didn't get to see DeRosa play last year, so we asked him what does he have to bring to the table.
He responded, "I think I'm a gamer. The one thing I'll say is hopefully I'm consistent everyday I walk into that clubhouse door."
With Freddy Sanchez recovering from shoulder surgery, DeRosa has been playing mostly at 2nd base.
"Mark looks great. I know he was anxious to see some live pitching. It's been a long time for him, it's going to be a little quick for him, but he'll get his timing back and looks in great shape," said Giants manager Bruce Bochy.
DeRosa would love to play more of a part in this year's run for back to back titles and knows it will be tough to repeat.
"To have a World Series ring, to have teams aspire to whoop up on us, I think it's got to make us stronger and gives us a little chip on our shoulder," said DeRosa.
san francisco giants, at&t park, mlb, mike shumann
- San Leandro police search for missing 10-year-old boy 25 min ago
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239 8 min ago
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide 57 min ago
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California! 12 min ago
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- Tips for spotting counterfeit bills
48 min ago