Bonds trial: Giambi brothers detail steroid use
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Professional baseball players who have admitted using illegal steroids took the stand Tuesday in the Barry Bonds perjury trial. Former Oakland Athletic and New York Yankee Jason Giambi and his younger brother, former Oakland Athletic Jeremy Giambi, told their stories about getting undetectable steroids from Bonds' trainer.
The Giambi brothers recounted much of what they had already told a 2003 grand jury. They were already using steroids when Jason met Bonds' former trainer Greg Anderson in 2002.
But with Major League Baseball's new drug testing survey on the horizon, Anderson offered them an undetectable alternative. Jason testified Anderson told him the designer steroids we now know as "the clear" and "the cream" had "steroid-like properties." Jeremy said Anderson told him they were "alternative undetectable steroids."
Their testimony seems to support Bonds' claim that he never knowingly took anabolic steroids. But former Giant Marvin Benard said Anderson described them as simply "undetectable steroids."
Quest Labs director Barry Sample testified about the testing process for a 2003 Bonds' urine sample that at first tested negative and later positive when anti-doping labs de-coded what is now known as the steroid THG.
Former Giants' head trainer Stan Conte testified about physical changes he observed in Bonds that former expert witnesses have linked to steroid use. Conte also described a conversation in his office just after the raid on Anderson's house. Conte said Bonds told him he didn't know anything about the steroids, and that Anderson was only selling the steroids to help his kid.
"I had never heard that Bonds had acknowledged that Greg Anderson was selling steroids," said former San Francisco Chronicle reporter Lane Wiliams who co-authored the book "Game of Shadows" about the steroid investigation leading to Bonds' indictment. "That's interesting. The case doesn't rise or fall on it, but it was a little detail that was new to me."
The trial continues Wednesday with Benard likely back on the stand.
trials, san francisco giants, barry bonds, steroids, mlb, heather ishimaru
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos