Meet new A's rookie Jemile Weeks
OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- The Oakland A's swept the San Francisco Giants in the Bay Bridge series and that sweep gives the A's some hope in what looked like a lost season. New manager Bob Melvin has provided a spark and so has the speedy new rookie, 2nd baseman Jemile Weeks.
He can run, he can field, and he can hit. Since being called up on June 7th, Weeks has been on a tear with a .364 average in his first 12 games.
"I feel great. I mean, this is where I've wanted to be all my life and finally it's here, so it definitely feels good," said Weeks.
Making the big leagues was almost expected of Weeks because baseball has been in his family for generations.
"It's kind of been a part of the family; my grandfather played, my dad played. It went on down to my brother and me being the youngest, I just followed suit pretty much," said Weeks.
In less than two weeks with the club, Weeks has been a game-changer with four doubles, three triples and two stolen bases. Most importantly, the A's are winning.
"It was my opportunity to come up here and try to be a part of this team and help them win. And that's probably the most exciting thing is that we're winning right now and it's me, I'm actually helping out this team win and that's something that I didn't see myself doing so soon in the season," said Weeks.
oakland athletics, mlb, larry beil
- Mega Millions winning ticket sold in San Jose
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Wonder Girl to take on Vallejo after Batkid saved SF 44 min ago
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: OPD gets new SUVs; Big Sur fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday