Ryan Vogelsong's voyage back to mound
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The feel good story of the year for the San Francisco Giants has to be pitcher Ryan Vogelsong.
He was drafted by the Giants back in 1998 and began a 12-year journey through the big leagues and around the world on his way back to the Giants.
"The low point really came last year when I got released by the Phillies around the All-Star break," said Vogelsong.
Vogelsong thought his career was over at that point after playing for the Giants, Pirates, Phillies and three years in Japan.
But the Giants resigned him this spring, he made the roster as a reliever, and when Barry Zito went down, Vogelsong got his first start with the Giants on Mother's Day, pitching 6 1/3 shutout innings.
"To have a performance like that and have it be my first game here as a starter and then to get the standing ovation, I mean, it was unbelievable," said Vogelsong.
After 12 years in the big leagues, he is still learning from his teammates. His improved mental focus is what turned his career around and now he is an All-Star candidate with a 6-1 record.
"If I would get there and be a part of that and have that name of an All-Star tagged to my name, it would be amazing," said Vogelsong.
san francisco giants, at&t park, mlb, mike shumann
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF 39 min ago
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro 26 min ago
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday 13 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
6 min ago
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration...
39 min ago