Ryan Vogelsong's voyage back to mound
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The feel good story of the year for the San Francisco Giants has to be pitcher Ryan Vogelsong.
He was drafted by the Giants back in 1998 and began a 12-year journey through the big leagues and around the world on his way back to the Giants.
"The low point really came last year when I got released by the Phillies around the All-Star break," said Vogelsong.
Vogelsong thought his career was over at that point after playing for the Giants, Pirates, Phillies and three years in Japan.
But the Giants resigned him this spring, he made the roster as a reliever, and when Barry Zito went down, Vogelsong got his first start with the Giants on Mother's Day, pitching 6 1/3 shutout innings.
"To have a performance like that and have it be my first game here as a starter and then to get the standing ovation, I mean, it was unbelievable," said Vogelsong.
After 12 years in the big leagues, he is still learning from his teammates. His improved mental focus is what turned his career around and now he is an All-Star candidate with a 6-1 record.
"If I would get there and be a part of that and have that name of an All-Star tagged to my name, it would be amazing," said Vogelsong.
san francisco giants, at&t park, mlb, mike shumann
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela 36 min ago
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated 2 min ago
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Protest gets heated for Santa Rosa teen shot
- Bank robbery suspect shot near mall in San Rafael 29 min ago
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing 41 min ago
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Richmond police searching for young runaway sisters
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Husband's tutu project gets T-Mobile's support
- Winter Spare the Air called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Obama poses for selfie at Mandela's memorial
- roundup: Golf pro charged; Xmas tree in Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bank robbery suspect shot near mall in San...
29 min ago