Two plead not guilty in attack of Bryan Stow
LOS ANGELES -- Two men accused of brutally beating a San Francisco Giants fan outside Dodger Stadium pleaded not guilty to criminal charges Wednesday.
Defendants Louie Sanchez, 28, and Marvin Norwood, 30, are charged with mayhem, assault and battery in the March 31 beating of Bryan Stow, a Santa Cruz paramedic who suffered severe brain injuries and remains hospitalized.
During arguments on a motion to allow cameras in court, prosecutor Frank Santoro did not object, saying the case was not based on witness identifications but on admissions by both men. He said 20 witnesses had been asked to identify the men, but only one person was able to positively identify Sanchez and no one could identify Norwood.
"The case is based on admissions from both of them," Santoro said.
The camera motion was denied after the defense objected. Outside court, Sanchez's attorney, Gilbert Quinones, was asked about the prosecutor's claim that Sanchez and Norwood had made admissions.
"Making assertions and proving them are two different things," Quinones said.
During the brief hearing, several family members looked on as Sanchez and Norwood stood about 30 feet apart. They did not look at each other and spoke only through their lawyers. Relatives declined to comment to the media.
Police have portrayed Sanchez as leading the assault on Stow, which came March 31 at the culmination of an alleged rampage in which Sanchez and Norwood are accused of lashing out randomly at rival Giants fans at the stadium.
bryan stow, los angeles, crime, mlb
- San Jose police officer facing sexual assault charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- High speed chase ends in crash in Richmond
- Major BART delays due to Balboa Park station incident 6 min ago
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Lanes reopen on NB I-880 after Major-injury crash
- Report: CVS could face $29M fine for painkillers
- Portland family calls 911 about angry cat
- Japan marks 3rd anniversary of tsunami disasters
- Pharmacist prescribes anti-monster spray for child
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos