What Vogelsong hopes doesn't happen this year
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- People are comparing New York Knicks player Jeremy Lin to Denver Broncos' Tim Tebow, but who's the baseball version of Lin? Could it be San Francisco Giants pitcher Ryan Vogelsong?
One of the Giants announcers said last year, "Around here they have nicknamed him 'Vogel-Strong' and that is how he has pitched all year. He has pitched strong baseball."
2011 was a dream season for Vogelsong. A National League All-Star he finished with 13 wins and a team leading 2.71 ERA -- safe to say, this was an off-season unlike any other.
"It's been pretty busy. A lot of speaking engagements, just kind of a lot of appearances. It's been pretty nuts, but a good nuts," said Vogelsong.
Now firmly entrenched in the Giants starting rotation, Vogelsong knows the pressure is on to repeat what he did last year.
"I definitely don't want to be sitting here in June and hearing people say I was a fluke and last year was a one-year thing. I want to make sure that doesn't happen, so it's time to get it done again and hopefully do it a little bit better," said Vogelsong.
Once again, the Giants strength will be their starting rotation. For Vogelsong it's about keeping up with the Joneses.
"For me I know I don't want to be the weak link. I don't want to be the guy every fifth day that's not getting it done and those guys are. That's kind of what drives me," said Vogelsong.
san francisco giants, at&t park, mlb, larry beil
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos