Bryan Stow beating suspects appear in court
LOS ANGELES (KGO) -- The two men accused of savagely beating giants fan Bryan Stow last year outside Dodger Stadium were in a Los Angeles courtroom this morning for their arraignment.
Thirty-year-old Louis Sanchez and 31-year-old Marvin Norwood are both pleading not guilty to charges of mayhem assault and battery in the beating of Stow on March 31 of last year. While Stow has been rehabbing, the district attorney has been building a case against the suspects and that includes what sounds like a confession.
Their only comment was 'yes your honor' when asked if they understood the charges against them. Their attorneys entered pleas of not guilty on their behalf. Sanchez is changing to a public defender from a private attorney who said Sanchez could not afford him for a month-long trial.
Some of the evidence against Sanchez and Norwood is a secretly recorded conversation following a lineup last July. In it, the men are heard discussing how they beat the 43-year-old Stow in the Dodger Stadium parking lot after the season opening game against the Giants. It was a beating that left the Santa Cruz paramedic permanently disabled with brain damage. The men also talked about the need to make up some kind of defense. We may learn more about their defense when the two return to court July 24 for a pre-trial hearing.
bryan stow, southern california, los angeles, crime, trials, mlb, terry mcsweeney
- Bay to Breakers draws thousands to San Francisco
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Two Powerball tickets in Calif. have 5 of 6 numbers
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party 21 min ago
- Fremont roadway closed after car strikes utility pole
- Emergency officials monitor Wichita-area tornado
- Nicasio lifts Rockies to 5-0 win over Giants
- Cespedes homer helps A's complete sweep of Royals
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos