Mayor congratulates SF Giants on clinching NL West title
SAN FRANCISCO -- As San Francisco Giants fans celebrated a win Saturday night that earned them the National League West title, the city's mayor weighed in on the victory.
"Tonight, San Francisco is once again filled with Giants pride as our amazing home team beat the San Diego Padres 8-4 to begin their quest toward bringing another World Series Championship to our world-class city," Lee said in a statement."All of San Francisco along with Giants fans everywhere turned their attention to AT&T Park this week as the magic number continued to drop lower and lower," he said.
The mayor also acknowledged the team's triumphs after overcoming a "season filled with their share of obstacles." Those challenges included losing closing pitcher Brian Wilson to an elbow injury at the beginning of the season and more recently, the suspension of Giants outfielder and All-Star Game MVP Melky Cabrera after he tested positive for game-enhancing drugs. With the National League West title under its belt, the team is set to compete in their first playoff game two weeks from now.
san francisco giants, mlb
- Manager reveals details of teen's stowaway survival
- Man punches neighbor whose house caught on fire
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Images released of shipwreck in San Francisco Bay 39 min ago
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- South Korea ferry toll hits 156 as search gets tougher
- Young Oakland boy shot in the eye with paintball gun
- Pair sets record with BASE jump off world's... 17 min ago
- Minnie Driver faces body bullies, tweets nude photo 9 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan