Mayor congratulates SF Giants on clinching NL West title
SAN FRANCISCO -- As San Francisco Giants fans celebrated a win Saturday night that earned them the National League West title, the city's mayor weighed in on the victory.
"Tonight, San Francisco is once again filled with Giants pride as our amazing home team beat the San Diego Padres 8-4 to begin their quest toward bringing another World Series Championship to our world-class city," Lee said in a statement."All of San Francisco along with Giants fans everywhere turned their attention to AT&T Park this week as the magic number continued to drop lower and lower," he said.
The mayor also acknowledged the team's triumphs after overcoming a "season filled with their share of obstacles." Those challenges included losing closing pitcher Brian Wilson to an elbow injury at the beginning of the season and more recently, the suspension of Giants outfielder and All-Star Game MVP Melky Cabrera after he tested positive for game-enhancing drugs. With the National League West title under its belt, the team is set to compete in their first playoff game two weeks from now.
san francisco giants, mlb
- Deputies monitoring PG&E substation in San Jose
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5
- SAP looks to hire those with autism, Asperger's
- Experts weigh in on Bay Bridge broken bolt debacle
- Man with ties to Boston suspect fatally shot by FBI
- Group wants parents to boycott Harvey Milk Day
- 49ers new stadium to host Super Bowl 50 in 2016
- Woman's cremated ashes washed away in fire
- PayPal hopes new smartphone app will replace wallet
- Bay Area fire captain among team sent to Oklahoma
- Senate panel approves immigration bill
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body
- roundup: SF bank robbery; Search for survivors
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
15 min ago