Mayor congratulates SF Giants on clinching NL West title
SAN FRANCISCO -- As San Francisco Giants fans celebrated a win Saturday night that earned them the National League West title, the city's mayor weighed in on the victory.
"Tonight, San Francisco is once again filled with Giants pride as our amazing home team beat the San Diego Padres 8-4 to begin their quest toward bringing another World Series Championship to our world-class city," Lee said in a statement."All of San Francisco along with Giants fans everywhere turned their attention to AT&T Park this week as the magic number continued to drop lower and lower," he said.
The mayor also acknowledged the team's triumphs after overcoming a "season filled with their share of obstacles." Those challenges included losing closing pitcher Brian Wilson to an elbow injury at the beginning of the season and more recently, the suspension of Giants outfielder and All-Star Game MVP Melky Cabrera after he tested positive for game-enhancing drugs. With the National League West title under its belt, the team is set to compete in their first playoff game two weeks from now.
san francisco giants, mlb
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well 10 min ago
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday