Mayor congratulates SF Giants on clinching NL West title
SAN FRANCISCO -- As San Francisco Giants fans celebrated a win Saturday night that earned them the National League West title, the city's mayor weighed in on the victory.
"Tonight, San Francisco is once again filled with Giants pride as our amazing home team beat the San Diego Padres 8-4 to begin their quest toward bringing another World Series Championship to our world-class city," Lee said in a statement."All of San Francisco along with Giants fans everywhere turned their attention to AT&T Park this week as the magic number continued to drop lower and lower," he said.
The mayor also acknowledged the team's triumphs after overcoming a "season filled with their share of obstacles." Those challenges included losing closing pitcher Brian Wilson to an elbow injury at the beginning of the season and more recently, the suspension of Giants outfielder and All-Star Game MVP Melky Cabrera after he tested positive for game-enhancing drugs. With the National League West title under its belt, the team is set to compete in their first playoff game two weeks from now.
san francisco giants, mlb
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday