Mayor congratulates SF Giants on clinching NL West title
SAN FRANCISCO -- As San Francisco Giants fans celebrated a win Saturday night that earned them the National League West title, the city's mayor weighed in on the victory.
"Tonight, San Francisco is once again filled with Giants pride as our amazing home team beat the San Diego Padres 8-4 to begin their quest toward bringing another World Series Championship to our world-class city," Lee said in a statement."All of San Francisco along with Giants fans everywhere turned their attention to AT&T Park this week as the magic number continued to drop lower and lower," he said.
The mayor also acknowledged the team's triumphs after overcoming a "season filled with their share of obstacles." Those challenges included losing closing pitcher Brian Wilson to an elbow injury at the beginning of the season and more recently, the suspension of Giants outfielder and All-Star Game MVP Melky Cabrera after he tested positive for game-enhancing drugs. With the National League West title under its belt, the team is set to compete in their first playoff game two weeks from now.
san francisco giants, mlb
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Stockton port officials happy to receive Google barge
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Isaiah Washington returning to 'Grey's Anatomy'
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos