Mayor Lee makes bet with Detroit's mayor over World Series
SAN FRANCISCO -- Fresh off of his winning bets that the San Francisco Giants would win their first two playoff series, Mayor Ed Lee is making another wager -- this time with Detroit's mayor -- that the Giants will come out on top in the World Series against the Tigers.
Lee and Detroit Mayor David Bing have agreed on a bet in which the losing mayor will travel to the winner's city and participate in a day of community service and other activities.
If the Giants win, Bing will come to San Francisco, play baseball with youths in the Junior Giants program and tour various companies in the city.
But if the Tigers win, Lee will travel to Detroit and tour the factory that produces the Chevy Volt, the car Lee uses as his official city vehicle.
"The San Francisco Giants are truly the comeback kids -- this team never quits," Lee said in a statement. "The city of Detroit also has a reputation for making an impressive comeback, although I fear I won't get to see this firsthand, as the Giants are bound to win the World Series."
Bing said in a statement, "The Giants have had great success, but we've already proven we can handle any team out of the Bay Area" -- a reference to the Tigers' triumph over the Oakland A's in the American League Division Series earlier this month.
Lee made similar bets with the mayors of Cincinnati, which the Giants beat in the National League Division Series, and St. Louis, which San Francisco defeated in a seven-game National League Championship Series that ended Monday.
Cincinnati Mayor Mark Mallory now has to host a chili cook-off fundraiser at a local firehouse with the proceeds benefiting San Francisco youth programs, while St. Louis Mayor Francis Slay briefly had to change his Twitter avatar to a picture of the Giants' logo.
Slay also has to send St. Louis specialties, including barbeque, toasted ravioli and local beers, to San Francisco.
Game 1 of the World Series between the Giants and Tigers starts at 5:07 p.m. today at AT&T Park.
ed lee, san francisco giants, mlb
- Collapse feared at site of massive 5-alarm fire in SF
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect
- India says Malaysia seeking help in search for jet
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif. 56 min ago
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Mountain lion caught on camera in Hollywood Hlls 24 min ago
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug 17 min ago
- Boat crashes into rocks near Oyster Point Marina
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Groups protest chemicals used in iPhone 49 min ago
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos