Zoo's lucky monkey named 'Romo' in honor of Giants closer
SAN FRANCISCO -- A baby Francois' langur monkey born at the San Francisco Zoo last month that some believe brought the Giants luck in their World Series bid has been named after relief pitcher Sergio Romo.
The orange-headed female monkey, born during the postseason division series against the Cincinnati Reds in the beginning of October, will now be known simply as "Romo."
Once the monkey was born, the Giants started winning, according to zoo officials. The team eventually made it to the World Series and swept the Detroit Tigers in four games.
Romo recorded the final out of the series on Sunday, striking out Tigers third baseman Miguel Cabrera and clinching the championship title for the Giants.
Since the big win, Romo's popularity has soared.
Zoo spokeswoman Abigail Tuller said Romo was "an overwhelming favorite" among members of the public who were sending in name suggestions.
Name ideas had been flooding in during the Giants' postseason, with many zoo patrons and Giants fans submitting suggestions through the zoo's Facebook and Twitter pages, including "Posey," after catcher Buster Posey, and "Scutaro" or "Scooter," in honor of second baseman Marco Scutaro, Tuller said.
The langur exhibit grew popular in the weeks leading up to the World Series win after the zoo posted a sign with the Giants logo there.
The zoo is now hoping the real Romo will visit the zoo for a naming ceremony for the little monkey in the coming weeks.
The San Francisco Zoo is located at 1 Zoo Road.
san francisco giants, shopping, mlb
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Amazon grocery delivery rolls into San Francisco
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans 41 min ago
- Supermodel Gisele's breastfeeding pic stirs debate
- wls: Baby girl found dead in car seat in Chicago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Rollover crash victim; Vallejo homicide
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday 51 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
32 min ago