A's Billy Beane named executive of the year
Oakland Athletics General Manager Billy Beane is being rewarded for his teams improbable run into the playoffs. Sporting News has named Beane as its 2012 Major League Baseball Executive of the Year.
Beane directed a massive overhaul of the A's before this past season, trading some of the team's best players for little-known prospects. The team stunned everyone, by winning 94 games to capture the American League West Championship.
Beane is known for his unconventional style which was the topic of the book Moneyball, which became an Oscar-nominated movie.
oakland athletics, mlb
- Frigid temperatures grip Bay Area, break records 37 min ago
- At 50, new-look Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Teen found murdered in 1994 ID'd as Pacifica girl 45 min ago
- Third day ends without finding missing SJ CEO
- Officer-involved shooting shuts down I-5
- 50 people displaced by San Leandro apartment fire
- Fast-food strikes return amid push for wage hikes
- Libyan officials say US teacher killed in Benghazi
- Northern California couple has rare triplets
- FBI seeks 'Sports Cap Bandit' bank robbery suspect 6 min ago
- 3 Good Samaritans honored for Alameda water rescue
- abcnews: Who's getting early Oscar buzz?
- roundup: Former SF supe sued; New Sebastopol mayor
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday