A's Billy Beane named executive of the year
Oakland Athletics General Manager Billy Beane is being rewarded for his teams improbable run into the playoffs. Sporting News has named Beane as its 2012 Major League Baseball Executive of the Year.
Beane directed a massive overhaul of the A's before this past season, trading some of the team's best players for little-known prospects. The team stunned everyone, by winning 94 games to capture the American League West Championship.
Beane is known for his unconventional style which was the topic of the book Moneyball, which became an Oscar-nominated movie.
oakland athletics, mlb
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos