Pablo Sandoval hospitalized in Venezuela
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval has been hospitalized in Venezuela with abdominal pain, according to the Venezuelan newspaper El Nacional.
The newspaper cites a tweet from Sandoval's brother Michael.
Sandoval was supposed to have been released on Wednesday, but doctors are keeping him for observation.
Sandoval is playing in a Venezuelan baseball league during the Giants' offseason. Team officials say he could be out as soon as Friday.
Sandoval was named to Venezuela's provisional World Baseball Classic roster on Thursday, along with second baseman Marco Scutaro.
Sandoval, was expected to be in New York this weekend to pick up the Babe Ruth Award as last postseason's Most Valuable Player, but his illness now makes it unclear if he will attend.
The San Jose Mercury News and MLB.com contributed to this report.
san francisco giants, mlb
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap 54 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
26 min ago