Pablo Sandoval hospitalized in Venezuela
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval has been hospitalized in Venezuela with abdominal pain, according to the Venezuelan newspaper El Nacional.
The newspaper cites a tweet from Sandoval's brother Michael.
Sandoval was supposed to have been released on Wednesday, but doctors are keeping him for observation.
Sandoval is playing in a Venezuelan baseball league during the Giants' offseason. Team officials say he could be out as soon as Friday.
Sandoval was named to Venezuela's provisional World Baseball Classic roster on Thursday, along with second baseman Marco Scutaro.
Sandoval, was expected to be in New York this weekend to pick up the Babe Ruth Award as last postseason's Most Valuable Player, but his illness now makes it unclear if he will attend.
The San Jose Mercury News and MLB.com contributed to this report.
san francisco giants, mlb
- BART, union leaders reach new contract deal
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday 17 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
19 min ago