Great-grandmother from Santa Rosa catches foul ball at Giants game
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- When you're a grandmother of 16, and a great-grandmother of 15 more, no one expects you to snag a foul ball at a baseball game. But don't tell that to longtime San Francisco Giants fan Virginia Smith.
The Santa Rosa resident caught a foul ball off the bat of Colorado Rockies player Todd Helton in the 9th inning of Tuesday night's game.
Giants announcer Mike Krukow called it his favorite play of all time.
Virginia says she's been taking her glove with her to games for years, hoping to catch a ball. And she finally did!
It wasn't a fluke either. She played softball for 39 years. So for her, no big deal!
san francisco giants, at&t park, santa rosa, mlb
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Man arrested after standoff in San Francisco
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Consumer Reports tests gray hair touch up products
- Photos: $2.35 million Modern Family home for sale 33 min ago
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Boy struck by car
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos