Great-grandmother from Santa Rosa catches foul ball at Giants game
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- When you're a grandmother of 16, and a great-grandmother of 15 more, no one expects you to snag a foul ball at a baseball game. But don't tell that to longtime San Francisco Giants fan Virginia Smith.
The Santa Rosa resident caught a foul ball off the bat of Colorado Rockies player Todd Helton in the 9th inning of Tuesday night's game.
Giants announcer Mike Krukow called it his favorite play of all time.
Virginia says she's been taking her glove with her to games for years, hoping to catch a ball. And she finally did!
It wasn't a fluke either. She played softball for 39 years. So for her, no big deal!
san francisco giants, at&t park, santa rosa, mlb
- Deputy saves man from fiery crash in Oakland
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- Journals show students' despair, hope 1 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Bus with 8 kids involved in crash in Livermore
- 10-year-old girl to become Wonder Girl in Vallejo
- Honda tops insurance industry safety list
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- Consumer Reports tests handheld gaming electronics
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Journals show students' despair, hope
1 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos