A's beat Twins 8-2, increase lead in AL West
MINNEAPOLIS -- A.J. Griffin allowed just two hits in seven innings and the Oakland Athletics beat the Minnesota Twins 8-2 Thursday afternoon to increase their division lead heading into a crucial weekend series.
Josh Reddick homered and had three RBIs for Oakland, which has a 3½ game lead over idle Texas in the American League West. It is Oakland's largest lead over the Rangers since Aug. 3. The teams are to scheduled play a three-game series this weekend in the Lone Star State.
Oswaldo Arcia homered for Minnesota, which has lost six of eight.
In winning his fourth straight start, Griffin (14-9) struck out eight and walked just one batter.
Making his first start since being recalled from Triple-A, Minnesota starter Scott Diamond (5-11) allowed five runs - four earned - in 4 2-3 innings.
oakland athletics, MLB, oakland, mlb
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire
- Parents discuss Oakland school assaults with police 20 min ago
- Man looks to move forward after Peninsula boat crash
- Senators reach deal extending jobless benefits
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water main break 9 min ago
- Crews remove broken window from high-rise in SF
- Car cleared from Caltrain tracks after collision
- Police search for possible shooter, lock down school
- Americans on track to spend $60B on pets this year
- Royal editor: Diana gave me leaked phone info
- VIRAL VIDEO: Haiyan survivors in "Happy"...
- Photos: Meet the stars where you live
- roundup: Vacaville police chief; South Bay fireworks
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
22 min ago
- SF's Stockton Tunnel closed due to water...
9 min ago